Public building, landscape
Begraafplaats Schoonselhof Krijgsbaan 2610 Wilrijk
Year of construction
Unknown Architects involved: Emiel Van Averbeke (1876-1946) Jan Pieter de Jonge Van Baurscheit (1699-1768)
Temporary association: Stramien (studies extension) Origin Architecture & Engineering (stability, conservation, restoration castle) Subcontracted: Cenergie (technical studies) D2S (study acoustics)
The Schoonselhof estate has a long and rich history: an early medieval agricultural settlement evolved in the 16th century into a pleasure palace, after which it acquired its present appearance in the 18th century. The castle contains tangible traces of these 16th- and 18th-century buildings, but its current appearance is the result of a thorough renovation dating from the beginning of the 19th century. The castle is typical of the neoclassical style: both the floor plan and the facades are very pure and symmetrical.
Especially the decorative ceiling and door paintings (dating back to 1870) as well as the marbleising have been preserved in relatively good condition. The 19th century interiors formed an architectural ensemble: both the ceiling and the doors contained paintings and the walls were papered with a matching motif and colour.
The castle also forms a unity with the surrounding landscape. The French and English gardens were planted between the 15th and 19th centuries, with the castle as the central point.
The requested programme consists of spaces for funeral receptions on the one hand, and a business centre with meeting rooms and office spaces on the other. These two main functions entail a number of supporting functions, such as the requirement for a kitchen, sanitary facilities, a cloakroom, staff rooms, storage space and technical rooms.
In order to retain the original clarity of the plan and structure, the ancillary functions such as sanitary facilities, storage, service space, technical installation and kitchen are accommodated in the basement. In this way, the historical distribution of functions is respected.
The ground floor, which has always served as a representative reception area, will also house the rooms for the funeral receptions. The business centre, with meeting rooms and offices, will be located on the first floor, while the attic will be kept free for the technical installations and additional storage areas.
Besides these organisational interventions, the restoration of the outer envelope and the 19th century ceiling paintings and wall finishes is planned. Finally, the aim is to improve comfort, energy performance and conservation, as well as the accessibility of the building; always considering the heritage value of the building and the historical interiors.
Please do not hesitate to contact us. Someone from the Origin team will be happy to answer your questions.